The Daily Digital

Chronicling the lives of the Kramer beagles and their hard-working domestic help.

  • Email

    d a i l y d i g i t a l < A T >
    l a u r i e k r a m e r
    < D O T > c o m

Waiting for Sandy

Posted by laurie on October 29, 2012

Uncle Bob and Aunt Nancy came over for soup last night. It might be a few days before we see them again, as Hurricane Sandy is poised to hit New Jersey. Phillip has spent the better part of two days preparing the house and yard, and getting the generator ready because it will be a miracle if we don’t lose power.

This is the canal, and on the other side of it (past the path where I broke my foot running) is the Millstone River, which in extreme conditions as we’re expecting today, overflows into the canal which in turn overflows onto the road and creeps up the driveway.

This is a view from the top of the driveway. During Hurricane Floyd, the water rose above that fence at the bottom. We are high and dry, there’s nothing to worry about there. Trees falling is a worry, and flooding for thousands of people in the area is a huge concern. Don’t worry about us, and I’ll update when possible.

40 Responses to “Waiting for Sandy”

  1. No worries about the house flooding here either. We are on a bit of a hill , but still far too close to the Jersey Shore for comfort. The winds are really whipping around the house and yard and things have already gone flying up the street from people’s yards. We tried to tie most things down here – or bring them in and put them in the garage. Both Buddy and Holly refuse to go out, so they are going to have to sit with their legs crossed. I keep telling them that it is going to get worse before it gets better. The worst is suppose to hit in about 8-10 hours or so.
    Laurie – I worry about your proximity to all that canal and river water. Hope you are not stranded for days like an island. I’ll keep all of us in the path of the hurricane in my prayers.

  2. Luana, Cody, and Henry said

    Laurie and Philip – I’m so glad you have a generator for when the power goes out, so least you won’t be in the dark and cold. Hug Stanley and Shermie tight, and may you all be safe (and relatively dry from canal flooding).

    Audrey – May you and your family be safe, also. Cuddle Buddy and Holly as close as you can.

    Thoughts and prayers for all people, two-legged and four-legged, in Sandy’s path.

  3. Cody and Henry's Aunt said

    Stay safe – our prayers are with all on the Eastern seaboard.

  4. harperlea said

    Wishing and praying for all of your safety back east… Please keep us updated when you can… I’m a worry wart 🙂
    Like Luana, Cody and Henry said, cuddle those fuzzy babies close…

    On a happy note, one of our local Fire Fighters completed a successful cross country bicycle ride to raise money for his sister in Brooklyn to buy her a new wheelchair… He’s from a town just north of us… Wonder if that made the news back east? (I just read it in our paper this morning…)

  5. Stay safe on the East Coast! What a monster storm this is turning out to be! Hope there are plenty of treats and blankets for the fur babies! Prayers from Texas.

  6. Rebecca Campbell said

    Stay safe. Hug the boys. Prayers from Northern Indiana.

  7. Amy~Cobalt & Onyx's Mom said

    Stay safe and sending prayers to all in the path!

  8. Karen S. said

    Keep safe and may God watch over us all.

  9. Sue ~ Barney , Jodi, & Huggy Bear's Mom said

    So glad that you have a generator. We were without power for 15 days after the last hurricane hit TX. We had a generator too, but it was 90+ degrees and I’m an airconditioned lizard and melt in the heat-just the opposite of you guys. Keep Safe.

    • Karen S. said

      Wow 15 days! The most I’ve been without power in Connecticut is about 7 days. It shouldn’t have been that long, but Connecticut Light and Power screwed up big time. I think that now they are getting their act in gear after facing withering criticism of their last fiasco.

  10. Susan in DE said

    Wet and windy here in Wilmington, DE, but as of 10:00 am Eastern on Monday 10/30, we still have power (and can work from home … good thing, since there’s a state of emergency and you’re not allowed to drive anyway). The worst is expected to start this afternoon and go overnight. We are not at risk for flooding where we are, but there are a lot of big old trees in this whole area, so a power outage is inevitable.

    Don’t worry about most of us if you don’t hear from us, it’s likely we’re just hunkered down with no power. We’ll be all right and will report in when we can. :->

    • Sue ~ Barney , Jodi, & Huggy Bear's Mom said

      Watched 30 Power Line trucks being escorted out of town by the police this morning on TV. They expect to be in the DC area by Wednesday. Hang in there…

  11. Spunky's Mom said

    Laurie – glad to hear you are well-prepared to weather the storm. I hear the power outages are expected to last for days. Prayers and hugs to everyone in Sandy’s path. I have in-laws in Pennsylvania, several nieces and nephews and their families in upstate New York, and a nephew who is a firefighter in the Coast Guard in the Maryland/DC area. I’m hoping his wife, kids and beagle puppy evacuated somewhere, but since he has to stay, they probably did too. Keep safe, everyone!

  12. kim Jackson said

    BTW. Laurie the picture of the drive is breath-taking!

  13. Molly's Mom in Texas said

    Good thoughts and prayers from the coast of Southeast Texas. I have relatives in Smithville, NJ about 20 minutes inland from Atlantic City so I’ve been glued to the Weather Channel. They should be okay though.

  14. Cathy, Gomez, Lily & Mr. Peabz said

    It looks like you’re well prepared: gassed up the generator, tied down outside stuff, laid in a supply of Uncle Bob.

    Seriously, I just saw a weather map that showed this storm heading RIGHT for New Jersey. The weather guy noted this storm covers 800 -900 miles, so a lot of people are going to be in its path. Please everyone, stay safe.

  15. Good luck and keep dry.

    Saturday night we had a tsunami warning and they evacuated the coastal areas. We did not hear the sirens and slept through the whole thing. It is concerning and we are going to call civil defense today about the sirens in our area.

    Two years ago FEMA decided they needed more money so they changed the flood maps and we are now in a official flood zone. For the amount of money they charge for flood insurance they should have sent a limo with a private driver and escorted us to high grounds and given us a glass of champagne.

    The police were in the neighborhood, they just didn’t come down to the end of our cul de sac.

    Luckily it was a false alarm.

    Several other condos have had a survey submitted and had their flood status changed. Any suggestions out there?

    Anyway I hope everyone on the east coast stays as dry as we did Saturday night.

    • harperlea said

      Hi Donna,
      Not sure of your location, but a good, reputable local engineering and surveying firm should be able to provide some assistance… Even if only to give you some idea on how you can proceed…
      It sounds as if since a neighbor was able to get the designation changed already, you have a precident to request that your area be adjusted as well. It depends on the drainage patterns on your property….
      (I work for an engineering and surveying firm in California)
      Good luck and let me know how it goes!

      • I guess its slogging through all the mumbo jumbo lingo. I’m going to gather info and ask the President of the association to help. We only have six units and he lives in Iowa, 4-5,000 miles away and has taken an early retirement so I think it’s a good job for him. don’t you? I’ve been the insurance volunteer for 17 years and I’m becoming a little burnt out with this group. (Make that A Lot Burnt Out with this group)

        I live in Honolulu, on the canals, which, until two years ago, was not considered “flood worthy”.

        What I’m really concerned about is that no one thought to let us know that our area was being evacuated. I rarely watch regular TV so I wouldn’t know unless the sirens worked!

      • Harper said

        Ahhh. Yes, I think it is the President of the Association’s job to help out… especially if he has all that time on his hands!!! And yes, associations can be a bit trying to deal with…

        And most definitely, I think it is frightening that you didn’t get any other emergency notice… besides the sirens, has your area looked into the reverse 911 calling system? We have that here in California for fires (in our area at least).

        Good luck!

  16. Baci's mom said

    Working from home today in Delaware with remote access to job-related servers. The wind and rain have picked up considerably over the last half hour or so. Like Susan, I am not at risk from flooding. Unfortunately, having a dog means having to go out in the weather from time to time. Baci is mostly sleeping, having moved recently from the couch to the bed. I try not to make food-related noises so as not to stir him up.

    • Susan in DE said

      Wind and rain really picking up now, landfall expected in South Jersey within 2 hrs. It’s going to be a long night. Fortunately, the upstairs of our house overhangs the downstairs by a few feet in both front and back, so I can step out the back door with Josie and get her to do her business and then scuttle back inside. Other than a tree falling on the house, my biggest fear is a pee accident inside with no power to run the rug shampooer. ;-> (Had to add a little levity, this is kind of scary).

  17. Just came back from an emergency trip to the Vet. We dodged downed branches and trees all the way there. Holly came in from outside yelping in pain. She tore her left front dew claw/nail. No clue how she did that- the weather is making both my doggies go nuts. Guess she tried to jump up on something and her paw got caught. Thank God when I called the vet – he was there taking care of some patients that had to stay overnight. He had me bring her in. He clipped the nail real short and cauterized it and gave her antibiotics and a shot to knock her out. He actually said that she is going to acted “stoned ” for about 4 hours. She could not even stand up and I had to carry her out to the car and then in to the house. She is zonked out in her doggie bed but at least she is not in pain any more. I am glad that she should sleep right through the hurricane.

  18. Julie - JB & Cassie's Mum in England said

    Stay safe Laurie, Phillip, the boys and all of our US friends in the path of the storm – we are following what’s happening here in the UK and we Beagle People are thinking about you and praying you will all escape unharmed. Looking forward to hearing from everyone when the worst is over.

  19. Sue VanOort (Sunny's Mom) said

    Thinking positive for everyone on the East coast from Minnesota! Be safe!!

  20. Karen S. said

    What ever did we do before we had the internet to bring us together?

  21. Kelley - Jasmine & Ralph's mom said

    Good thoughts and prayers for you, Phillip, and the pups, and for everyone on the east coast. Hang in there. 🙂

  22. Karen S. said

    Please keep us posted on Facebook Laurie!

  23. Linda UK said

    Dear friends in the US, we’re thinking of you all over there – please stay safe! We don’t have such extreme weather here in the UK, and our only taste was on vacation in Florida this year with the outer edge of Isaac. Audrey – poor Holly…..
    Best wishes to you all and I’m hoping to hear you’re all safe as soon as possible.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: